Monday, May 10, 2010

So long, Frank


Bran Mak Morn, my favorite Frazetta painting. You can just feel these dudes rushing over that hilltop to slay your ass.

I got the first Frazetta art book from my friend Raphael de la Cruz in the 10th grade at the High School of Art and Design for five bucks, and he-Frazetta-became my main influence in art, showing me that the human body could be very forceful and emotional in telling a story. His work made me study anatomy more carefully and I learned the subtleties in musculature. In other words, I owe this man a lot for what I can do with a pencil, some brushes and paint, and a blank painting surface laid out before me-even though in my wildest dreams I know I can never be that good.

Damn, Frank. I never even got the chance to shake your hand to just say "thank you".

I guess I'll just have to wait a while longer.

No comments: